Resume for Sharla R. Hicks
Who is Sharla R. Hicks?
1996 to present: Sharla is the master mind behind the Soft Expressions
Website, owner of the mail order company Soft Expressions, and the Editor
of the online Expressive Quilters
- 2015: 2 week self-directed Art Retreat in the Luberon Valley of France (the Provence area)
- 2014: Art Quilt Tahoe studied under Jane Dunnewold: Improvisational Design for Digital Printing
- 2013: June returned to Certified Zentangle Training this time in Providence, Rhode Island with founders and developers of the Zentangle
concept, Marie Thomas and Rick Roberts.
- 2013: Road to California: studied under Katie Pasquini: Painted, Stitched Canvas
- 2010 to present: Printmaking and the Monoprints at Santiago Canyon
- 2013: Mixed Media workshop with Andrea Matus deMeng
- 2013: Dreamweaver Stencil Creativity Certification
- 2012: Mixed Media and Assemblage workshops with Richard Fruend
- 2012: January completed beginner & intermediate Copic Designer
- 2011: February trained to be a Certified Zentangle Teacher
(CZT) in Whitinsville, MA with founders and developers of the Zentangle
concept, Marie Thomas and Rick Roberts.
- 2010: Stewart Gil Creativity Consultant Training and received a London City Guilds Certification for the course.
- 2009: Mixed media exploration course at the Santiago
- 2000: Mendicino Art Retreat: Exploring surface design, printmaking
and mixed media on fabric.
- 1997 to present: Continuing education workshops and retreats
in art, fabric dyeing and screen printing, and painting mediums from
local, national and international instructors to expand her education
on using art materials on fabric.
2 week Art Retreat on the Greek Isle
of Santorini under the tutelage of Linda
a teacher who explores Art and Spirit: Expression, Awareness
and Transformation through Art.
- 1987-95 Fullerton College, Associate Degree in Art
1993: UCLA, six month extension course, Art
1985-86: College of the Canyons, California
State University, Fullerton, emphasis general education and psychology
1982: Certified machine embroidery instructor
with Sew-Art International
1978-81: University of Utah, emphasis psychology
and sociology earning Therapeutic Recreation Technician License with
State of Utah.
- 2015: Invited to Tangle U as a continuing education instructor of Certified Zentangle Teachers.
- 2013 to Present: Zentangle Inspired Art Work selected for publication by invitation the following books, Beauty of Zentangle, The: Inspirational Examples from 137 Tangle Artists Worldwide
by Suzanne McNeill CZT and Cindy Shepard CZT, 500 Tangled Artworks: A Showcase of Inspired Illustrated Designs
by Beckah Krahula and Tangle Journey: Exploring the Far Reaches of Tangle Drawing, from simple from simple strokes to color and mixed media.
- 2004 to present: Curator & Exhibit Co-ordinator of Soft
Expressions Upstairs Quilt Gallery
- 1992 House of Hope, coordinated and directed completion
of 55 twin size quilts and 30 baby quilts for homeless women and children
- 1994-95 Computer Quilting Exhibition for Laguna Art Museum
held in conjunction with Amish Quilt Exhibition, "Lit from Within,
Amish Quilts of Lancaster County." Developed an informational computer
slide show that highlighted the style differences between Midwest and
Lancaster Amish Quilts and American quilts of the same period. Set up
3 additional computers with quilting software and instruction manuals
- 1994-95 Organized the first juried and judged Southern California
Regional Quilt Show, Crossroads
- 1995-2000 Owner of the Internet Website and Mail Order Business,
Computer Quilting Made Easy at
- 1996, 1997, 1998 Crossroads Hands-on Computer Quilting Special
Exhibit with 7-9 computers and 21-35 lab techs trained by Sharla
- 1996-1997 authored 5 books in a series called Computer
Quilting Made Easy
- 1998 Layout Chairman for Flying Geese Quilt Show, Quilters'
Passion: Color, Design & Fabric
- 1998 to Present Website development and Webmaster for Flying
Geese Quilters Guild and Computer
Quilting Made Easy at Soft Expressions.
- 2001- 2006 Taught online classes for Quilt
Quilt & Zentangle Exhibits and Awards
- Awards: 1990, 3rd, Ruels Kaleidoscope Schweinfurth Art
Museum, Auburn NY and in 1991, 3rd, International Quilt Festival, Houston,
TX. 1992, The Power of Freedom, Fairfield Award for Best Machine Quilting,
Freedom of the Nations Contest, also published in Quilting Today, June
1992. 1994, I Love Chartreuse, 2nd Orange County Fair. 1994, Adams
Outer Realm, Judges Choice, From Our Hearts and by Our Hands, Flying
Geese Quilt Show. 1995, Honorable Mention, Chinese Red, National Quilting
Association. 2nd Viewers Choice, Delta Quilters Quilt Show. 1996
Best Machine Quilting Award, Crossroads: Exploring Quilt Frontiers.
2009 1st place in Mixed Media division of the Student Art show at Rancho
- Invitational Exhibits: 1984, American Quilt Museum, San Jose,
CA. 1992 West Coast Quilters Conference, Sacramento, CA. 1993, Brandstater
Gallery, La Sierra University, Riverside, CA (5 woman show). 1994, Quilt
Show of Glendale Quilters Guild, Burbank, CA. 1994-95, Laguna
Art Museum, Computer Quilting Exhibit with informational computer slide
display. 1995, Computer Quilting Exhibit for Delta Quilters Quilt Show.
1996, Quilt Show for South Bay Quilters Guild.
- Exhibited Nationally: 1990 juried, Schwienfurth Art Museum,
Auburn, NY. 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995 juried, International Quilt Festival,
Houston, TX. 1992 juried, Pacific International, San Francisco, CA.
1991, 1993, 1996 juried, American Quilter Society, Paducah, KY. 1995,
National Quilting Association, Riverside, CA.
- Exhibited in California: 1985, Antelope Valley Quilters Guild
Annual Show, 1992, 1994, From our Hearts and by Our Hands. 1993, juried,
La Sierra University, and Muckenthaler Center. 1994, Orange County Fair,
Quilt show of Glendale Quilt Guild, and Cotton Patch, La Fayette, CA.
1995, Natural Impressions II, juried, Santa Barbara, CA, 1995 Delta
Quilters Quilt Show. 1996, Crossroads, Ontario CA. 2009 Student
Art Show at Rancho Santiago College
- Exhibited in Soft Expressions Upstairs Gallery: 1996, 2003,
2013 Curated and Exhibited in Pen = Ink = Zentangle for Tangled
Quilts Published in:
- Who's Who in American Quilting, Sharla is Listed in First Edition: 1996
- Quilt Book: Patchwork Persuasions by Joen Wolfrom
- Quilting Today Magazine