Steam A Seam2 and Lite Steam A Seam2 Products
- Use Steam A Seam 2 for repositionable fusible appliqué' and quick soft hems
- Change your mind at any time!
- Nothing is permanent until pressed with an iron.
- Peel away and restick in new position
- Steam a Seam2 double sticky shapes can also be peeled off one fabric and applied to another material for true flexibility in the design process.
- Manufactured by The Warm Company
3 types of Steam A Seam: What do each have in common & what are the differences?
What each has in common
- The bond is the same but you may prefer one over the other depending on your project.
- All are pressure sensitive sticky back
- Allows repositioning BEFORE ironing.
- Repositionable on vertical design wall.
- Permanent once ironed down
- Comes in multiple sizes.
- Sandwiched between two paper backings for easy release.
- NEW: 1" grid backing
- Easy to know which side is the release backing.
- Easy to know which side to trace the shape.
- Easy for fabric grain line position.
- Easy to to optimize the space with tracing patterns.
- Easy to see scale and size of piece.
Steam A Seam
- Sticky Back
- The original, Steam-A-Seam Sticky Back, has the pressure sensitive adhesive (the "stick") on one side
- Allows paper fusible shape to be applied to an appliqué material.
- Sandwich of Paper shape and applique is repositionable BUT cannot change fabric.
- Once fused the fabric is stiffer than lite version.
Steam A Seam 2 & Lite version
- Double Stick
- Steam-A-Seam 2 Double Stick is pressure sensitive on both sides
- Temporary hold on both appliqué material and background paper.
- Double sided stick allows removal of applique shape from one fabric and placed on another.
- LITE VERSION: Once fused the feel of the fabric is lighter, sometimes referred to as a lighter hand.
Steam A Seam2 Information
- A pressure sensitive coating on both sides of the web allows it to temporarily stick to the appliqué material, then adheres the appliqué piece to the background.
- The entire appliqué stays in place without shifting and is repositionable until pressed with an iron.
- It is even possible to try on a garment and reposition the appliqués before fusing to ensure exact placement.
- When completely satisfied with the design, fuse all the materials in one final step.
Change your mind at any time!
Nothing is permanent until pressed with an iron.
- If you change your mind about the appliqué fabric you are using, simply peel off Steam A Seam2and stick it to new fabric.
- There is no waste. Since you haven't fused Steam A Seam2 to your appliqué material, you can remove it from your fabric scraps and use both the excess fabric and Steam A Seam2 for other projects.
Materials that can be fused with Steam A Seam and Steam A Seam 2
- Lace, Ribbon and Dollies
- Ultrasuede and Velvet
- Denim, Nylon and Canvas
- Bias Tape and Zippers
- Paper and Cardboard
- Gold Leaf
- Paper Maché Boxes and Wood
- Terra Cotta Pots, and Dried
- Flowers Magnets
- Small Beads
- Glass bottles, Copper and Foam
- Knits and Lamé
When using heavier fabrics, press both the front and back side of your appliqué. Don't worry about overheating Steam-A-Seam. Chances are you will scorch your material rather than completely dissipate the web.
Sticky Back" vs. "Double Stick":
Two types of Steam-A-Seam are available. The bond is the same but you may prefer one over the other depending on your project. The original, Steam-A-Seam Sticky Back, has the pressure sensitive adhesive (the "stick") on one side which allows for a temporary hold to the appliqué material. It shifts easily on the second material allowing you to quickly reposition your appliqué pieces until pressed with an iron for a permanent bond. Once fused the bond is the same as Steam A Seam2. Steam A Seam2 Double Stick has the pressure sensitive on both sides which allows for a temporary hold to both the appliqué material and the background material. You can hold your project vertically and the appliqué pieces stay in place and are still repositionable until fused with an iron. Before fusing, tack your project to a wall or try on a garment to check appliqué placement. You're able to reposition pieces while you're wearing them. Once fused the bond is the same as the original Steam-A-Seam.
Once fused, Steam A Seam2 is washable and dry-cleanable. Unfinished edges won't lift or fray. If you choose to finish the edges you can sew through the pressed appliqué without gumming up your needle or finish the edges with paint. We do not recommend drying with a dryer sheet.
Pre-wash fabric to remove sizing and other chemicals which may prevent the fabric from sticking to the web. Use with or without steam. Set iron temperature according to the type of fabric you are using.
- Trace appliqué design in grid side of paper liner and remove the second paper liner.
- Stick Steam A Seam2 to the wrong side of the appliqué material.
- Cut Steam A Seam2 and material together along the traced lines.
- Peel off remaining paper liner (leaving the web on the fabric) and stick appliqué to second material. Reposition as desired.
- Press for 10-15 seconds for cotton fabric (adjust temperature and fusing time to fabric). Repeat, overlapping pressed areas.
- Machine wash and dry at low heat or dry clean. Not recommended for use with dryer sheets.
Steam A Seam2 is available in various sizes including narrow widths for seams and hems.